Version 1.4 FREE announcement!

Discussion in 'Common Questions' started by Vasily B., Dec 1, 2005.

1. Vasily B.

Vasily B. Administrator Staff Member

Hi all,

Well, I should have been done a week ago... :oops: But I'm still glad to announce new FREE version release - eSyndiCat v1.4... Some words about it and brief description what has been changed in it:

*** Link comments ***
    *** Clicks counting with direct links ***
    *** More SE friendly URLs ***
    *** Number of links for categoriy and subcategories as well ***
    *** Category path for non-latin sites ***
    *** Open in a new window feature ***
    *** Link rank as stars ***
    *** Language file editor ***
    *** Mailer in admin panel ***
    *** Categories locking ***

and some other changes in admin panel and user interface as well.

UPGRADE PATCH is available in your downloads area.
    Here is instruction how to upgrade from v1.3 to v1.4

MAKE FULL BACKUP OF YOUR CURRENT VERSION FILES AND DATABASE

#1. download upgrade patch
    #2. unpack it and upload to your eSyndiCat script directory
    #3. then open in your browser yourdomainname/-dir-/upgrade/index.php file

-dir- = directory where eSyndiCat is installed

#4. click go.

It should be upgraded. Anyway please ask in case you have any troubles.
  2. kernel

kernel New Member

i'm sorry that i can't find the path field for non-latin sites

and i enter some non-latin words as title,then it act as below

测试
  3. echopulse

echopulse Paid Customer

I just used the upgrade script, and there were some database errors. When opening the directory, ROOT appears with no links in it. But, the links still exist in the database, because I checked manually. It seems there is no way to set the ROOT directory to what it was before.
  4. Vasily B.

hi guys,

2kernel:
    go to your admin panel -> configuration -> General Configuration -> Enable path field for categories
    After that when you add a category you will have path field. SO this field should be filled for correct script work.

2echopulse:
    hmm, what kind of errors you have? I tested it on my local version and it works. if you provide me your access I will make an upgrade for you. ALso try to set id = 0 for your root category in your phpMyAdmin. '

There is another way to make an upgrade. You just create a dump of your categories and links tables. And reinstall the script. Then import data and it should work.
  5. echopulse

echopulse Paid Customer

So, the only tables I import are the link and categories?
  6. Vasily B.

they are the most important. but in case you have many partner, featured links, editors then you should make the full dump. And one note:
    when you create a dump of your categories - remove ROOT category from it.
  7. echopulse

echopulse Paid Customer

How do I do that?
  8. Vasily B.

just open it in a plain text editor and remove that line that contains ROOT category
  9. I Ketut Sukandia

I Ketut Sukandia New Member

I also have the same error after install the upgrade.
    The other error: the category can not count the link inside.
    all have (0)

what's wrong? :!:
  10. Vasily B.

there is one NOTE
    when you upgraded your script your categories should be manually moved to their current location. After you do this number of links and subcategories will work
  11. I Ketut Sukandia

I Ketut Sukandia New Member

Thanks very ,uch for your quick reply.
    I have manually delete ROOT category on MySQL table.
    But I still do not know how to moved categories to their current location.
  12. saffy

saffy New Member

Is this just for the poster, or is this true for everybody? I haven't attempted to upgrade yet, because I'm worried about messing something up, and I have no idea how to "mannually move" categories, unfortunately.
  13. Vasily B.

This information is common for everyone who has updated to 1.4. Here is more detailed information what it means:
    for say you have two categories in your root.
    #1. Sports
    #2. Music

You go to your admin panel -> Browse -> Sports.. Then you should click Move . You will see a popup tree and you should click on Root as it is container category for your Sports category. You are asked if you do want to move your category there. You click Yes. It is moved to its current location. Nothing changed in your directory but you already have link count and subcategories count for this category. Make similar operations for Music category.
    If these two categories have subcats they should be also moved to their parent categories.
  14. Vasily B.

Root category is a parent category for your categories and links. It should not be removed. You should move your categories in admin panel -> browse. I want to notice - NOT remove, just use move feature. How to move them I have just described in the post above.
    Please ask and I will try to clarify anything for you.
  15. saffy

saffy New Member

I have dozens of cats and subcats, so I think I'll just stick with 1.3.
  16. echopulse

echopulse Paid Customer

Great work on 1.4 Simon and Company! I really can't find fault with it. I would like the upgrade process to go a lot smoother next time. If there is a database change needed, the upgrade script should handle it. And the upgrade script should be released day and date with the new version. Other than that, I haven't found any bugs yet. I do have one question though. What are the stars for? Some links have it some dont. And some pages with high page rank don't have stars, while some pages with lower page rank do. I can't figure that out.
  17. Vasily B.

2Saffy:
    I will make an automatic script that would create necessary records.

2echopulse:
    Well, upgrade will go some smoother :) for say we already released a new patch with comments fix and IMHO it is applied very quickly. you just reupload files and click on patch applier tool in admin panel. That's all. upgrade is done.
    Also stars rank is a simple indicator of site rank, how cool it is, etc. It is set by administrator. There can be various kinds of `Stars` rank. Some sites use dog bisquits, hot peppers, etc in order to indicate rank of a site
  18. saffy

saffy New Member

Oh, you're good! :D I'll try the new patch later tonight. Thanks!
  19. Vasily B.

20. saffy

saffy New Member

I think my message got eaten, so I'm re-posting this request... but if the request is already elsewhere and I'm just not finding it, I'm not harrassing you! Promise! :lol:

Could you give me really simple instructions for upgrading, using the 1.3 - 1.4 patch? I'm guessing I just need to upload the files from the archive, then run "upgrade/index.php", but I would prefer to confirm that with you before I go in and muck things up. :D