Upgrade from free version to pro version

Discussion in 'Common Questions' started by disenioweb, Dec 17, 2005.

1. disenioweb

disenioweb Paid Customer

Hello:

I want to know, if i have now a free version installed, and then i want to have a pro version....can i upgrade free to pro with no problems and with no data lost ? or i will have to reinstall everything again.....

Thanks for your time
  2. echopulse

echopulse Paid Customer

It shouldn't be too hard to upgrade to Pro. I did it with little difficutly.
  3. Vasily B.

Vasily B. Administrator Staff Member

welcome to our forums, disenioweb

anyway we offer free upgrades from free version to PRO :)
  4. subseo

subseo Paid Customer

A question I was just going to ask too!

How much is involved? Is it automatic process (delete old, copy new files, run upgrade script)? Or do you need to manually play with mysql db etc.? Thanks.

For ALL the installs i migh have made in the meantime? :wink:
    I will be happy to do it myself, but I hope the process is easy even for non-advanced users.
  5. disenioweb

disenioweb Paid Customer

Very thanks for the answers. :lol:
  6. pgolovko

pgolovko Professor

The proccess of upgrading is ... relpace your old files with new files. Though in my case it is impossible, becuase I have modified not just the look and feel, but some functions in the engine it self. So, if you have only modified the templates, then upgrading will be easy for you. But if you have modified the PHP scripts, then you will lose your modification due to the above reasons.
    In any case, I am highly suggesting upgrading your old versions to the new ones. If at any time you might have some problems, then feel free to post a call for help here, someone will help you. 8)
  7. Vasily B.

hey, a wonderful idea came to my mind. I was so stupid and did not think about it before...
    some of you knows that main functionality of our script is the class files. for work with database, mailing, admin, etc. there are functions in these classes.
    from this moment I will do the following - I will add new functions in the end of these classes and create a logical point where functions of every version begin. So if you even have a modified version you will just add new functions that were modified to your classes and you will not lose your changes. Mainly this is useful when you do not have modified version.
    Before I had a chance to work on another project and there I did have great problems with version upgrade. I tried to make our upgrade process as easy as possible, but have really serious changes in every version. I think we will have upgrades some easier when we have real base core of our script, that can be untouched. I think we will come to the moment I'm talking about in about half of a year.
  8. disenioweb

disenioweb Paid Customer

Hello, a few minutes ago, i bought a pro version, should a run an install again ? ( i have now the free version )

Thanks
  9. disenioweb

disenioweb Paid Customer

When i run the install, i only have mysql errors. What should i do ?

Thanks
  10. Greg

Greg Moderator

Just a suggestion. But if this is a new site with hardly any links added, I would just do a fresh install of the ProVersion and delete the other one first.
  11. disenioweb

disenioweb Paid Customer

Ok, very thanks.....
  12. Vasily B.

2 disenioweb:
    thanks ;) I've just made our Pro areas enabled for you
    ask in case you have any troubles
  13. MKJ

MKJ Paid Customer

Overwriting?

So if I do the above and overwrite all the files it will be updated? This looks a bit iffy to me. Surely there are database issues here. There are extra fields needed and doing the above won't update the database. I would like to update my own script but it looks likely I will have to reinstall completely and then go through creating all the categories again which is a bit of a bind. Is there a more comprehensive instruction for this process as I can't seem to find it?

Regards
  14. Vasily B.

I can help you I think. Please send me your sql dump and I will prepare an update for you. Later you will reinstall the script and import the sql file.
  15. MKJ

MKJ Paid Customer

Dump

Cheers

Private message sent with sql dump attached.

Regards
    MKJ
  16. Vasily B.

Thanks. Please check your email. I sent you a dump of your categories. Simply reinstall the script and later import the file I sent.
    I did not make an upgrade for your links. You have just 4 links and I think you can easily add them again manually.

Let me know if you have any questions