Need help with creating database dump

Discussion in 'Installation and Updates' started by WTM, Aug 30, 2006.

1. WTM

WTM Loyal User

O'k all of you MySQL gurus out there...

I need detailed instructions how to:

1. Create SQL dump of categories ONLY and than how to use this dump for new script installation.

2. How to create reusable set of categories inside of same installation...

Lets say I have 10 main categories (10 major cities for example)
    Now I created a set of 20 business categories with subcategories - total of 200 categories under 1 of my main categories.
    Is it possible to duplicate this set of 200 (create some kind of dump) and insert it under each of my other 9 main categories?

I DID try to search forum but could not find detailed instructions.

Thanks
  2. Vincent Wright

Vincent Wright New Member

WTM,

please contact Simon via email -- I'm sure he implemented this mod a month or so ago.
  3. Vasily B.

Vasily B. Administrator Staff Member

Hi,
    I decided to answer your questions here :) Sorry for the late reply.

1. Go to your admin panel.
    2. Click manage database -> Export
    3. Export the following tables:
    categories, flat_structure, sequences

use the following export options:
    Structure - on
    Add drop table - on
    Data - on
    Complete inserts - on
    Use real prefix - on
    4. Save as file to your local PC

Next step is to prepare your new version. Install the script to your new domain or directory.
    Go to your admin panel -> manage database. Click import and choose your file . Click Go. Now you should have all your categories.

A mod to copy categories will be included in our next version. I already have it and I can send you the files. Btw, you can be a beta tester thou we did not find any problems with it. Sure you can send me your ftp details and I will implement the mod myself for you.

Let me know if you have more questions.
  4. scott atkins

scott atkins Paid Customer

I can not find sequences in my data base.Can you please help me?
  5. Michael Hill

Michael Hill eSyndicat Support Team

Hi,

What indeed sequences you can't find in your database?
  6. Dave Baker

Dave Baker New Member

Hello scott atkins,
    Table "sequences" in Pro2.0 version doesn't exist any more. Try to create dump without this table.
  7. scott atkins

scott atkins Paid Customer

I made it work Dave thanks
  8. abtlang

abtlang Paid Customer

Problems with exporting/importing data

Hi, Simon,

I'm having terrible problems with this. I've followed these instructions perfectly, and every time I try to import (i.e. the last step), I get the following error message:
    Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''

I'm using version 2.0.1 and it doesn't matter which, or how many tables I try to export/import.

Can you help?

Thanks in advance,

Terry.
  9. Michael Hill

Hello, abtlang !

In Simon's instructions presents "EXPORT" ) Why you try to use "IMPORT"?
    Do you want import something?

Thanks!
  10. abtlang

abtlang Paid Customer

Hi, Michael,

The instructions are to copy a table, or tables, from one directory to another one (or from one server to another one, or from one domain to another one). The copying obviously consists of two steps - you export from one database and then import the content into the second database. It is true Simon speaks of EXPORTING, but he also speaks of IMPORTING, when he says at the end "Click import and choose your file . Click Go. Now you should have all your categories."

As I say, whenever I get to this step (importing) I get the error message - not when I export.

Best regards,

Terry.
  11. abtlang

abtlang Paid Customer

Anyone any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks,

Terry.
  12. khunjack

khunjack Paid Customer

Can you be so kind and send that mod to me too .. thanks a lot.

BTW: I don't have any 'sequences' table either.
  13. Mark Brookes

Mark Brookes Paid Customer

The _sequences table was definately in Ver 1.2, but I've just been & checked, and confirm that it does not appear in Ver2.0.01.

These are my notes about the _sequences table, when it existed:-

This table records the sequence number of the last record added to other tables
    · Links
    · Categories
    · Editors
    · Administrators
    If all new links & Categories had been added via the eSyndiCat program, the values in the _Sequences table would have taken care of themselves.

But as I have added 32 categories and 313 links by data importing, the values in this table have not been updated. SO:
    · In phpMyAdmin
    · Browse the relevant data table
    o _links
    o _categories
    o _Editors
    o _Admins

· Establish highest sequence number for records in each table
    · Return to _Sequences table
    · Edit record
    · Modify relevant field with value – highest sequence number

Failure to get the sequences values right will cause error messages when you try to create new links or new categories…

This is because the suggest-link program looks at the _sequences table to determine the next sequence number to use (it might be 1, or 7 or 23 etc) but then when it tries to write a record with that sequence number to the _links table it discovers that a record number 1 already exists (as I have already imported 313 records)

For more information about improting categories and other table data,
    you may find it helpful to see About importing Categories, Links and Editors
    at ... http://www.finespeeches.com/_other_/eSC_intro.html

Regards
    AMrk
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  14. khunjack

khunjack Paid Customer

I just went into mysql (where I have the categories) and exported the categories table.

This tabel than I loaded (with drop table) in my local (vanila) installation...

the categories doesn't show up in the frontend ..but the categories are all there in the admin section...

not knowing what to do after that I repeated that with the flat_structure and than with the link_categories....

difficult and time consuming doing russian engineering :)
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2006
  15. Michael Hill

Hi,khunjack,
    please, check your `id` value for ROOT category in your local database, is it different from 0? Post your URL, please.
  16. khunjack

khunjack Paid Customer

id: 0
    id_editor: 0
    id_parent: -1
    title: ROOT
    path:
    level: 0
    num_cols: 0
    neighbour: 0

Thank you Michael for help!!!

I did it manually, actually I think it isn't worth the trouble.....just an one hour copy paste task.

I read somewhere that you guys developing for the next version and export/import functionality.
    That could be really handy if such a function could also export/import affilates/partners....but on the other hand ... it would just be another few hours copy/paste.

Thanks a lot for following up on it.
    jack
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  17. Michael Hill

You are wellcome, khunjack!

It really isn't worth the trouble:)