Installation for dummies please?

Discussion in 'Installation and Updates' started by ukyankee68, Sep 26, 2006.

1. ukyankee68

ukyankee68 Paid Customer

Ok, I'm not really that stupid, but this is the first time I have done something like this, so I'm a little nervous.:confused:

After reading the installation instructions, the one thing that I am not sure how to do is where it tells me how to change the permissions. How do I run a command from my FTP?

I do know that in my FTP, if I right click on a folder and look at the properties, I can change the chmod right there. Is that the same thing as running the command?

Oh, and how do I do the patch? Does it just copy over certain files?
    And last one... should I create a different folder to upload it into? Does it matter? what do you recommend? or is it just personal preference?

TYIA!
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  2. Dave Baker

Dave Baker New Member

Hello jsgpsy,
    Copy files in a necessary directory (ex. public_html)
    In a FTP browser (ex. TOTALCMD) in command line enter chmod 777 tmp, chmod 777 backup ..... OR (if you use Vdeck) in Vdeck Panel choose Host Manager->File Manager-> Opposite to each file and a directory you can see numbers designating chmod. Just click for change OR(if you use Cpanel) in Cpanel -> File Manager -> Click on a necessary file or a directory and in a right frame choose -> Change Permissions.
    For application of patch just replace files.
  3. ukyankee68

ukyankee68 Paid Customer

Thanks for the reply!

I went ahead and just did it, figured I would learn if anything didn't go quite right, but so far so good. :yahoo: Fingers crossed!
  4. Vasily B.

Vasily B. Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to our support forums, jsgypsy
    Just a little note about a patch. There is a file in language directory. You should copy lines from it to your language file. You should not copy it to your language directory.