Changed my domain name and now my site wont show

Discussion in 'Installation and Updates' started by movingknowhow, Aug 6, 2006.

1. movingknowhow

movingknowhow Paid Customer

I guess it something to do with the definitions
    when i log to my DB i get this ODBC(what is ODBC? I didn’t have that before the domain change)

My DB looks like this
    MySQL Database
    List Of Databases Hosted On localhost

Database Manager

Details of movingknowhow_com Database

User List
    User Name
    User Role
    escuser- Full Access
    kritan- Full Access
    moving- Database Administrator

ODBC List
    User Name Host
    escuser movingknowhow.com
    kritan movingknowhow.com
    moving movingknowhow.com

BTW how do i backup? which filed i neeed to backup?
    want to save it weekly on CD:wink:
  2. redeye

redeye Moderator

GOOGLE says:
    (pronounced as separate letters) Short for Open DataBase Connectivity, a standard database access method developed by the SQL Access group in 1992. The goal of ODBC is to make it possible to access any data from any application, regardless of which database management system (DBMS) is handling the data. ODBC manages this by inserting a middle layer, called a database driver , between an application and the DBMS. The purpose of this layer is to translate the application's data queries into commands that the DBMS understands. For this to work, both the application and the DBMS must be ODBC-compliant -- that is, the application must be capable of issuing ODBC commands and the DBMS must be capable of responding to them. Since version 2.0, the standard supports SAG SQL.
  3. movingknowhow

Red I tried to post what you wrote on ODBC into my PHP code
    Still the site won't show
    here is my new domain
    www.moversneeds.com

and i get this

Warning: mysql_connect(): Unknown MySQL Server Host 'www.movingknowhow.com' (2) in /home/moving/moversneeds-www/classes/DirDb.php on line 35
    Could not connect: Unknown MySQL Server Host 'www.movingknowhow.com' (2)Could not connect: Unknown MySQL Server Host 'www.movingknowhow.com' (2)
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  4. Vincent Wright

Vincent Wright New Member

First of all, your new domain is www.moversneeds.com and you try to connect to www.movingknowhow.com (at least this is what error says).

Second, instead of using domain name try to use "localhost". You can change it manually in includes/config.inc.php. Find the piece of code below

PHP:
    $gDirConfig['dbhost'] = 'your_actual_domain_name_here';
    And type in 'localhost'.
  5. movingknowhow

now i get
    Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user: 'escuser@localhost' (Using password: YES) in /home/moving/moversneeds-www/classes/DirDb.php on line 35
    Could not connect: Access denied for user: 'escuser@localhost' (Using password: YES)Could not connect: Access denied for user: 'escuser@localhost' (Using password: YES)

the problem started when i changed my domain name form movingknowhow to moversneeds
    BTW I changed my DB and login password after I switch to another domain
    I tried instead of loaclhost put moverneeds and the site showed but with no graphics
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2006
  6. Vincent Wright

Now make sure user escuser exists in the database and make sure password stored in config.inc.php is valid.
  7. movingknowhow

escuser exists in the database
    where is the password line in config.inc.php
  8. Vincent Wright

This is what db config looks like in config.inc.php (in my copy it starts on line #22)

PHP:
    $gDirConfig['dbhost'] = 'your_db_host';
    $gDirConfig['dbuser'] = 'your_db_user';
    $gDirConfig['dbpwd'] = 'your_db_password';
    $gDirConfig['dbname'] = 'your_db_name';
    You have to change $gDirConfig['dbpwd'] setting.
  9. movingknowhow

Thanks Vincent for the remarkable and outstanding patience and support
  10. Vincent Wright

You are welcome!